Saturday, February 24, 2007

Axel Doll

My younger brother has been reading lots of comic books latel. One of the ones he got out of the library, and read over and over again, was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I had heard of the story before, and I knew there were Kingdom Hearts video games, but I didn't know that there were manga books about it.
My brother kept mentioning this character called Axel, and I thought, "I want to see this character!", because one of my favorite Bionicle characters is named Axxon. And when I saw a picture of Axel, I liked him even more, because he looks like I picture Durza from the Inheritance books, except I picture Durza with shorter red spiky hair, and without the little eye markings. And then I read the book, and I really liked him, because he's mysterious, funny, and handsome. And then I had to doll him.



Base

The one on the right is my avatar at Fairytopia at the moment, which means that everytime I post something, I get to see an Axel doll. This makes me very happy.
His hair was easier to doll that I had thought it would be. I thought that the hair would be the hard part, but the silver details were actually harder to doll and make look right. It was also difficult to make his eye marking look right, and not as though he had a big ugly black bug on his face.
While I was making this doll, I kept saying to my brother, Moose, "Axel is so cute!". Moose would just look at me weirdly, because Axel is not normally cute. This doll of him is, though.
The other nice thing about making this doll was that I had an excuse to stare at lots of pictures of Axel for a long time to get all the details right.

1 comment:

Steve Emery said...

I really like the way you positioned him in the box (far left) and the simple lettering. It works. More interesting than other placements - and goes somehow with the simple color scheme.