Monday, June 25, 2007

Redone songs

A few weeks ago, I heard a redone version of "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. I love the original version, and was slightily appalled (but also slightly intrigued) by the redone version, by Quietdrive.
I forgot about it, until yesterday, when I heard a rap song, "I'll be Missing you", with the same background music, and the same music for the refrain, as "Every Breath You Take", which as I've already mentioned, is one of my favorite songs ever, and has been since I was eight. I was horrified, and extremely angry, about it, until I looked it up. It turns out, it's a song about losing people, and how, as it's put in the song, "I know you still living your life, after death". Well, I couldn't be angry after that, although I still wish they hadn't used the same music as "Every Breath You Take".
All of this reminded me of Quietdrives version of "Time After Time", so I went looking for it, and find several interesting preformances of "Time After Time". These were my favorites:

Dilana, on Rockstar Supernova- She gives it a sort of country twist, and she's got a lovely voice.

Brandon Rogers, on American Idol- It's nice to hear a guy sing this song, and he sings it so sweetly, and with so much emotion.

Tracet Thorn and Ben Watt, of Everything But the Girl - She's got a gorgeous deeper voice, and I love the way they only use one guitar for musical accompniement.

And, the best for last -

Eva Cassidy - She has such a beautiful voice, and her version is probably my favorite of all these.

I feel differently about people redoing songs, after watching these.

3 comments:

MLight said...

My favorites are the last two. I've never looked up Eva Cassidy on YouTube - this will be quite useful!

Steve Emery said...

I really like the way you always seem to learn something between the start of your blog posts and the end. That's what Montaigne meant by an "essay."

And the Eva Cassidy is stunning (I found out from another Youtube piece with an interview with her mother that we've been pronouncing her name wrong - it's a long "e" - EEva). There is a lovely "Duet Impossible" with Katie Melua at http://youtube.com/watch?v=OTt-ShDLEDU&mode=related&search= .

Anonymous said...

lemurreflections.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.